Thursday, January 15, 2015

Who's down with LLP?? .....Yeah, you know me! (:

LLP is Lavender, Lemon, and Peppermint.  I am grouping these together in one post because they are my second favorite single oils, both separately and together. 


First I will talk about them separately, then I will talk about them together.


Lavender
.....Oh where do I begin??  Let me start by saying that Lavender is the duct tape of essential oils.  And as a fellow West Virginian, we know that duct tape fixes everything, and so can Lavender!  If I would suggest only one oil for you to get, it would be lavender.  It has so many uses, here are a few:
  • Insomnia- diffuse or add a drop to your pillow
  • Sunburns and other burns- mixed with a carrier oil and apply to the burn
  • Insect bites- apply neat or mixed with carrier oil
  • Hair growth- apply neat or mixed with carrier oil
  • Dandruff- I add a few drops into my ACV when I do my monthly rinse
  • Mood lifter/Stress reduction- smell or apply on pulse points
  • Cooking/Homemade products (soaps, lotions, etc.)
  • And any other problem you have, just add some Lavender!  :)



Lemon

The lemon essential oil is cold pressed from the rind of the lemon.  It takes 3,000 lemons to produce 1 kilo of oil!  That's insane!  So needless to say, it is a very powerful oil.  Lemon is mostly commonly used in household products because it has been studied that the citrus fragrance boosted immunity, induced relaxation, and reduced depression.  In addition to cleaning, here are some other uses:
  • Add a drop in your hot water....hot water and lemon is great for your skin and whole body.
  • Helps with stain removal.
  • Removes sticky things....say goodbye Goo Gone!
  • Air freshener
  • Ear infections- Add to the outside of your ear
  • Skin care- helps with acne, wrinkles, age spots.  I use a mix of lemon, lavender, and frankincense with a carrier oil to help "awaken" the area around my eyes.
  • Focus- I diffuse this and orange in my classroom.
  • Cooking/Homemade products (soaps, lotions, etc.)
  • It is also supposed to help the digestive system.
** Please note that when applying lemon to your skin, you should avoid being exposed to sunlight and UV lights within 24 hours. 



Peppermint

Before I talk about Peppermint, I need to add in another Toby Testimony.  As I mentioned in my Thieves post, my husband, Toby, was rather skeptic about essential oils.  Well, he came home on day and said he had a horrible headache.  Now, he does not get headaches often so I knew it must be bad.  I asked him to try some oils.  He said, "I'll try anything if you can get rid of this headache." (eeck!) So I had him put a drop of peppermint oil on the roof of his mouth.  A few minutes later, it was gone!  Aside from headaches, peppermint can also be used for:
  • Heartburn/Indigestion issues- apply to effected area
  • Mental alertness
  • Focus
  • Sore muscles
  • Gardening- to keep critters away (Anxious to try this in the spring!)
  • Helps to keep ants away- place a drop on a cotton ball
  • Cooking/Homemade products (soaps, lotions, etc.)
  • Nausea- Smell when nauseous (I did this in the car- I get motion sickness easily.  It didn't completely make it go away, but I felt fine when I got out of the car.  You know how you usually still feel bad once you get out of the car?  Well I didn't, so I consider that a win!)
  • Congestion- put on bridge of your nose or right under nose to help with breathing.
And now.....featuring.....LLP!!

I don't usually advice ingesting oils, but for me personally, this is a miracle drug!  I add 3 drops each of Lavender, Lemon, and Peppermint with equal amounts of a carrier oil to a capsule and take one daily.  This helps with allergies and the area I live in, allergies are horrible when the seasons change.

Not all symptoms are the same for everyone, but this is seriously a life saver for me!  I did get sick with a sinus infection in October.  I had not been consuming oils prior to that.  But once I got sick, I started consuming them, diffusing, and applying neat.  I was better within 3 days and typically, it usually takes me 10 days to fight off a sinus infection.

Needless to say with my love of the LLP, I ran out of Lavender, Lemon, and Peppermint quickly!  I have now learned, that when applying topically, DILUTE WITH CARRIER OIL!  The oils will last you longer and the results are just the same as applying straight out of the bottle.

So....what's the easiest way to get Lavender, Lemon, Peppermint, and a diffuser to help with your allergies too??  Take a look at this starter kit through Young Living.  Let me know if you have any questions.

I hope this post finds you with some new ideas about using essential oils to help you stay healthy!  I'm getting very terrified to think of what is actually in medication that is sold over the counter.  I like the idea of making my own medicine and knowing exactly what is going in my body.  After all, you only get one body....you better take care of it! 

xoxo ~K


*These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA and are not intended to diagnose, treat, prevent or cure any disease.

No comments:

Post a Comment